I thought I’d start with sharing what I plan on cooking this week. Feel free to copy, re-work, or uses bits of this meal plan for inspiration, or just to give yourself a planning break.
What’s Going On This Week
This week we are working with no kitchen sink, so minimizing dishes is a MUST. I also am off work Monday and Friday, which gives me a little more flexibility to make long-cooking dishes. Oh, and did I mention that we got a massive winter storm this weekend, making everything cold and miserable?
Monday, January 21st
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, and fruit. This is our standard weekday breakfast – who has time to plan out fun breakfasts during the week? For the fruit, we’ll probably be eating the greenhouse grown strawberries I managed to find at Costco this week (!!!).
Lunch: Leftover chicken noodle soup from last week & an apple
Dinner: Split Pea Soup with Irish Soda Bread. I am SOOOOO excited that I get to make this today! It has to cook for a long time – and requires a good bit of work – but since I’m off work for MLK Day, it shouldn’t be a problem. I make my soup with ham hocks – which came from a pasture-raised pig – and lots of peas. Continue reading “Meal Plan Monday – January 21st, 2019”
Hi there! My name is Jess and I’m a 24-year-old
girl woman who is trying to embark on a crazy homesteading journey! You can read more about me here.
I just wanted to introduce myself and welcome you to the site. I plan on blogging about the following:
- Meal Plans
- Gardening experiments and adventures
- House renovations
- My quest to move to the country (my looooonnnngggg quest)
- Budgeting and frugal tips
- Health investigations – what does the RESEARCH say on vegetable oil, GMOs, exercise, etc?
- Reflections on my life – i.e. WHY AM I TRYING TO HOMESTEAD?!?!
- Miscellaneous stuff, as I feel like it.
What to Expect Soon
- Posts about our kitchen that is being torn apart and redone. We are going almost entirely DIY on it and learning lots of skills in the process. We are definite newbies!
- Garden planning – I’m working on a design for my 2nd year garden. I need to figure out how to maximize my yields, but also not shock my neighbors by my crazy jungle.
- Winter recipes – soups, stews, breads, and casseroles, probably.
- Science Investigations – I’m currently investigating whether or not GMOs are a problem, and have a few other investigations I’ve already done that I will make readable to people (who aren’t me and don’t know Crazy Jess Shorthand), and post.
- Meal Plans – I usually make a written meal plan every week, and I thought I’d post a few of them. I know deciding what to cook can be a struggle for people who aren’t used to preparing their meals from scratch, so I figured it might be helpful. No promises on posting this every week though.
- I promise to always be as thorough as possible when investigating any sort of scientific claims or health news
- I promise to always give honest reviews of products, procedures, and recipes.
- I promise to respect different opinions in the comments
- I promise to always give credit to my sources.
- I promise to do my best to provide information that will help other people embark on journey’s like my own – to find real food, environmental sustainability, and prosperous home lives.
Please let me know if there is anything in particular you want to know about me! I’m happy to answer your questions!